p-ISSN: 1306-696x | e-ISSN: 1307-7945
Volume : 29 Issue : 3 Year : 2024

Quick Search




SCImago Journal & Country Rank
Turkish Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery Surgical management of rectal foreign bodies: A single-center experience [Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg]
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2023; 29(3): 304-309 | DOI: 10.14744/tjtes.2022.62543

Surgical management of rectal foreign bodies: A single-center experience

Tayfun Bisgin, Seçkin Sogucak, Berke Manoğlu, Zekai Serhan Derici, Koray Atila, Selman Sokmen
Department of General Surgery, Dokuz Eylül University Faculty of Medicine, İzmir-Türkiye

BACKGROUND: Rectal foreign bodies (RFBs) are one of the rare clinical presentations in colorectal surgical practice, with an increasing incidence over the recent years. Due to the lack of standardized treatment options, the management of RFBs can be chal-lenging. This study aimed to evaluate our diagnostic and therapeutic approach to RFBs and to suggest a management algorithm.
METHODS: All patients with RFBs who hospitalized between January 2010 and December 2020 were retrospectively reviewed. Patient demographics, RFB insertion mechanism, inserted objects, diagnostic findings, management, complications, and outcomes were all evaluated. An algorithm for clinical management was developed depending on the center’s experience.
RESULTS: The cohort consisted of 21 patients, 17 (81%) were males. The median age was 33 years (ranging, 19–71). Sexual prefer-ences were the reason for RFB in 15 (71.4%) patients. In 17 (81%) patients, the RFB size over 10 cm. In 4 (19%) patients, RFBs were removed transanally without anesthesia in the emergency department; in the remaining 17 (81%), they were removed under anesthesia. Among these, RFBs were removed transanally under general anesthesia in 2 (9.5%) patients; with the assistance of a colonoscope under anesthesia in 8 (38%) patients; by milking towards the transanal route during laparotomy in 3 (14.2%) patients; and with the Hartmann procedure without restoration of bowel continuity in 4 (19%) patients. The median hospital stay was 6 days (ranging, 1–34 days). The Clavien-Dindo grade III-IV complication rate was 9.5%, and no post-operative mortality was observed.
CONCLUSION: RFBs can usually be successfully removed transanally in the operating room with appropriate anesthetic technique and proper surgical instrument selection.

Keywords: Extraction, rectal foreign body; sexual preferences.

Rektal yabancı cisimlerin cerrahi tedavisi: Tek merkez deneyimi

Tayfun Bisgin, Seçkin Sogucak, Berke Manoğlu, Zekai Serhan Derici, Koray Atila, Selman Sokmen
Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Genel Cerrahi Anabilim Dalı, İzmir

AMAÇ: Rektal yabancı cisimler (RYC) son yıllarda artan insidansı ile kolorektal cerrahi pratiğinde nadir görülen klinik prezentasyonlardan biridir. Standart tedavi seçeneklerinin olmaması nedeniyle, RFB’lerin yönetimi zor olabilir. Bu çalışma, RFB’lere tanısal ve terapötik yaklaşımımızı değerlen-dirmeyi ve bir yönetim algoritması önermeyi amaçladı
GEREÇ VE YÖNTEM: Ocak 2010 ile Aralık 2020 arasında hastanede yatan tüm RYC’li hastalar geriye dönük olarak incelendi. Hasta demografisi, RYC yerleştirme mekanizması, yerleştirilen nesneler, tanı bulguları, yönetim, komplikasyonlar ve sonuçların tümü değerlendirildi. Merkezin deneyi-mine bağlı olarak klinik yönetim için bir algoritma geliştirildi.
BULGULAR: Kohort 21 hastadan oluşuyordu, 17’si (%81) erkekti. Ortanca yaş 33 idi (19–71 arasında değişiyor). On beş (%71.4) hastada cinsel tercihler RYC nedeniydi. On yedi (%81) hastada RYC boyutu 10 cm’nin üzerindeydi. Dört (%19) hastada acil serviste RYC’ler anestezi olmadan transanal yolla çıkarıldı; kalan 17’sinde (%81) anestezi altında çıkarıldı. Bunların arasında iki (%9.5) hastada genel anestezi altında RYC transanal yolla çıkarıldı; sekiz (%38) hastada anestezi altında kolonoskop yardımıyla; üç (%14.2) hastada laparotomi sırasında transanal yola sağım yaparak; ve dört (%19) hastada bağırsak devamlılığı sağlanmadan Hartmann prosedürü ile RYC çıkarılması yapıldı. Medyan hastanede kalış süresi altı gündü (1–34 gün arasında değişiyordu). Clavien-Dindo (C-D) derece III-IV komplikasyon oranı %9.5 idi ve ameliyat sonrası mortalite gözlenmedi.
TARTIŞMA: RYC’ler genellikle ameliyathanede uygun anestezi tekniği ve uygun cerrahi alet seçimi ile transanal yolla başarılı bir şekilde çıkarılabilir.

Anahtar Kelimeler: Cinsel tercihler, ekstraksiyon; rektal yabancı cisim.

Tayfun Bisgin, Seçkin Sogucak, Berke Manoğlu, Zekai Serhan Derici, Koray Atila, Selman Sokmen. Surgical management of rectal foreign bodies: A single-center experience. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2023; 29(3): 304-309

Corresponding Author: Tayfun Bisgin, Türkiye
Manuscript Language: English