Correlation between ischemia-modified albumin and Ranson score in acute pancreatitis [Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg]
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2017; 23(6): 472-476 | DOI: 10.5505/tjtes.2017.51499  

Correlation between ischemia-modified albumin and Ranson score in acute pancreatitis

Cem Emir Güldoğan1, Murat Özgür Kılıç1, İlhan Balamir2, Mesut Tez1, Turan Turhan2
1Department of General Surgery, Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara-Turkey
2Department of Biochemistry, Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara-Turkey

BACKGROUND: Although Ranson score is the most commonly used prognostic model in the severity of acute pancreatitis (AP), ischemia-modified albumin (IMA) has been reported as a novel biomarker of various ischemia-based diseases in recent years. The aim of the present study is to investigate the correlation between Ranson score and IMA in patients with AP.
METHODS: Forty-three patients with AP were included in the study. All patients were classified as mild and severe AP. Plasma IMA level was measured after diagnosis and before treatment. The correlation between IMA level and amylase level, Ranson score, and disease severity was evaluated.
RESULTS: Twenty-nine (67.4%) patients were diagnosed as mild AP; the remaining 14 (32.6%) patients had moderately severe or severe form of disease, and were classified as severe AP. There was no significant difference in the IMA levels between the patient groups (p=0.737). No correlation between IMA levels and amylase levels (p=0.470), Ranson score (p=0.664), and disease severity (p=0.741) was found.
CONCLUSION: According to the results from the study, IMA does not seem as a useful marker in earlier prediction of disease severity in AP. Despite important disadvantages, Ranson score still indicates the disease severity more accurately.

Keywords: Acute pancreatitis, ischemia-modified albumin, disease severity.


Akut pankreatitte iskemi modifiye albümin ve Ranson skoru arasındaki korelasyon

Cem Emir Güldoğan1, Murat Özgür Kılıç1, İlhan Balamir2, Mesut Tez1, Turan Turhan2
1Numune Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Genel Cerrahi Kliniği, Ankara
2Ankara Numune Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Biyokimya Laboratuvarı, Ankara

AMAÇ: Ranson skoru akut pankreatitin (AP) şiddetinde en yaygın kullanılan prognostik model olmasına karşın, iskemi modifiye albümin (İMA) son yıllarda çeşitli iskemi temelli hastalıklar için yeni bir belirteç olarak bildirilmiştir. Amaç AP hastalarında Ranson skoru ve İMA arasındaki korelasyonu araştırmaktır.
GEREÇ VE YÖNTEM: Kırk üç AP hastası çalışmaya dahil edildi. Tüm hastalar hafif ve şiddetli AP olarak sınıflandırıldı. Plazma İMA seviyesi tanıdan sonra ve tedaviden öncesi ölçüldü. İskemi modifiye albümin düzeyi ile amilaz düzeyi, Ranson skoru ve hastalığın şiddeti arasındaki ilişki değerlendirildi.
BULGULAR: Yirmi dokuz (%67.4) hastaya hafif AP tanısı konarken, 14 (%32.6) hasta orta şiddetli veya şiddetli hastalık formuna sahipti ve şiddetli AP olarak sınıflandırıldı. Hasta grupları arasında İMA düzeylerinde anlamlı bir fark yoktu (p=0.737). İskemi modifiye albümin düzeyleri ile amilaz düzeyleri (p=0.470), Ranson skoru (p=0.664) ve hastalık şiddeti (p=0.741) arasında korelasyon saptanmadı.
TARTIŞMA: Çalışmadan elde edilen sonuçlara göre, İMA AP’de hastalık şiddetinin erken tahmininde yararlı bir belirteç olarak görünmemektedir. Önemli dezavantajlarına rağmen, Ranson skoru hastalığın şiddetini daha doğru göstermektedir.

Anahtar Kelimeler: Akut pankreatit, hastalık şiddeti, iskemi modifiye albumin


Cem Emir Güldoğan, Murat Özgür Kılıç, İlhan Balamir, Mesut Tez, Turan Turhan. Correlation between ischemia-modified albumin and Ranson score in acute pancreatitis. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2017; 23(6): 472-476

Corresponding Author: Murat Özgür Kılıç, Türkiye


TOOLS
Full Text PDF
Print
Download citation
RIS
EndNote
BibTex
Medlars
Procite
Reference Manager
Share with email
Share
Send email to author

Similar articles
PubMed
Google Scholar


LookUs & OnlineMakale